If the thought of heading out to visit friends makes you break out in a cold sweat, you’re not alone. Many people experience varying degrees of social anxiety. There are many things that can help, including meditation and therapy.
One way you can decrease your social anxiety is by utilizing positive affirmations. These are statements that you repeat to yourself in the present tense regarding a change or feeling that you wish to have in your life. “Positive Affirmations for Stress Reduction” describes in more detail the way positive affirmations can get your brain to help you achieve change in your life.
Easing Social Anxiety with Affirmations
Here is a list of our affirmations for combating social anxiety. You may wish to choose one or more of these and use them as we’ve written them. You may also wish to write your own affirmations, to align them more closely with your personal circumstances.
Note: If your social anxiety is severe and linked to depression and an inability to enjoy your life, contact your doctor for help.
- People love me, and I relate to them easily and comfortably.
- I love meeting new people.
- I am good at interacting with people.
- I am comfortable in groups of people, and they want me around because of my easy personality.
- I am socially confident.
- I have high self-esteem, and I’m confident in my ability to interact positively with others.
- I have a lot to offer the world, and people love to talk with me.
- I am an interesting person, and people want to know what I have to say.
- It’s comfortable for me to be in a group of people.
- I am calm in groups.
- My smile and warm nature are inviting to others.
Repeat your chosen affirmation(s) to yourself several times daily. Also, say them to yourself before heading into a social situation. Deep breathing can be done while you say your positive affirmations to yourself.