Stress isn’t a fun thing for anyone to deal with. We all know that it feels better and things seem to go more smoothly when we are relaxed.
But science is showing us all the time that stress actually negatively affects our health.
How Stress Affects the Immune System
Stress triggers your adrenal glands to release hormones like cortisol. If you’re in a situation where you must run or fight for your life, the release of these substances is good. However, when you are chronically stressed, and these hormones are constantly in your body, negative effects can result.
Your adrenal glands can become overtaxed, resulting in adrenal fatigue. When that happens, you may not be able to handle much stress at all without becoming overwhelmed or even getting sick.
Stress hormones can increase inflammation in your body, and that is the root of many health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and a host of other illnesses.
How to Strengthen Your Immune System
Decreasing stress and inflammation in your body can strengthen your immune system and help you fight off illness and disease.
Here are some suggestions:
- Make relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, and deep breathing part of your daily life.
- Use positive affirmations to maintain a peaceful attitude.
- Do fun exercise daily to maintain good health and to relieve stress.
- Leverage your diet choices to manage stress.
- Spend time with friends.
- Develop stress-busting hobbies.
- Ask your doctor about supplements that can fight the effects of stress in your body.
If you do get sick, give yourself a break and do what you can to relax and repair during that time. You can learn more here: “How to Reduce Stress While You’re Sick.”