Lavender is a soothing, calming scent, and lemon is refreshing and summery. These lavender lemon bars combine the best of both flavors for a special treat that’s great for sharing.
Serves: Makes 24 bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 large lemons) *
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lavender buds (culinary), plus 1/2 teaspoon for final dusting.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line a glass or ceramic 9×13 pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil **
- In a small bowl, combine all crust ingredients except flour. Mix well, then add flour and stir to combine. Dough will be thick.
- Press crust firmly into pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes until just starting to brown.
- In the meantime, make filling by sifting sugar and flour together in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs, lemon juice, lavender flours, and lemon zest.
- Pour filling into crust once it’s removed from oven.
- Return to oven for 22-26 minutes, checking frequently during last five minutes. Bars are done when center no longer jiggles when pan is gently tapped.
- Cool completely at room temperature for 2 hours and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Serve chilled, dusted with confectioner’s sugar and a sprinkling of lavender flowers.
*Microwaving lemon for 10 seconds and then firmly rolling it on the counter a few times helps the lemon release juice better.
**A metal pan may give the lemon bars a metallic taste.